How can I enable Google Analytics on my widgets?
Within this article you will learn how to enable Google Analytics tracking for one or all of the online booking widgets you have.
Once you have it set up you will be able to track your customers’ behavior during the booking process. This is key to improving your marketing efforts and getting more online reservations.
There are a few steps you should follow before enabling Google Analytics for your Orioly account.
- Sign up for a Google Analytics account, if don’t have one.
- Sign up for a Google Tag Manager account, if you don’t have one.
- Contact Orioly Support so they can provide you with an Orioly Container Template file that you will use to import all of the required tags, triggers and variables.
NOTE: Send an email to email@example.com or contact us directly through the chat app with the subject “Request for Orioly Template container for Google Tag Manager” to receive the file with the container template.
Setting up Google Tag Manager
The first thing you need to do is to install the Orioly Template container to your Google Tag Manager Account.
- Login to your Google Tag Manager account.
- Click the gear icon on the top right corner of your active container.
- Click “Import Container” and select the file that was sent to your email by our support team.
Once you have it installed, now it’s time to connect Google Tag Manager with your Google Analytics 4 account. Do that by following the steps below:
- Open the container that you have set up with the Orioly Container Template file.
- Click on “Tags” in the left menu.
- Select the tag “Google Analytics GA4 Configuration”.
- Click “Tag Configuration” and replace the Measurement ID with the one in your Google Analytics 4 account.
- Save the changes.
Where to find the Measurement ID in Google Analytics 4.
- Login to your Google Analytics 4 account and click “Admin” tab.
- Click “Data Streams” under the Property menu on the right.
- Select the data stream you want to collect data for and click the “Copy” option under the MEASUREMENT ID section.
NOTE: The Measurement ID is a 10 digits code in the format G-XXXXXXXXXX.
Setting up Google Analytics
In order to activate data collection for your GA4, you need to do some extra setup to your account.
- Open your Google Analytics account and go to the “Admin” section on the left menu.
- Click “Data Streams” and select the data stream you want to set up.
- Select “Configure tag settings” under the Google tag section.
- Select the “Show all” option under Settings and click “Override cookie settings”.
- Tick the box for “Override default cookie settings” and set the Cookie expiration time to 1h. Leave the rest as it is and click Save.
Orioly app implementation
Now it’s time to activate Google Tag Manager on your Orioly account.
- Login to your Orioly account.
- Click “Widgets & Plugins” on the dropdown menu in the top right corner of the application.
- Under Google Tag Manager click “Enable” and paste your Google Tag Manager Container ID.
NOTE: Access your Google Tag Manager account and copy the Container ID of the Orioly Container Template. It is located in the third column in the same line as the container name.
- Choose the widgets you want to track data from and click “Save“.
NOTE: We recommend you leave the option “All” selected to collect as much data as possible regarding your customers’ behavior when booking with you.
How to test the integration
To make sure everything is working as expected, install the Tag Assistant Companion extension for Chrome.
- Download and install the extension here.
- Open the extension once the installation is finished and click “Enable“.
- Refresh the page and open the extension one more time. If the Google Tag Manager tag is marked green you are good to go.
NOTE: If the Google Tag Manager tag is marked in a different color than green or if it’s not being displayed, contact your tech support and request a proper installation of the tag.